Photo credit ~ Dan4th
Since being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in January 2007 one could say that this has become my motto. Not so much by choise, because:
1) Often when I feel ‘stuck’ in a mood I want to get out real bad and I can’t muster the patience to let it run it’s course.
2) It is disrupting my life – it’s possible that I can’t do what I planned or have to cancel it all together; I can’t finish all that I have set out to do or…
3) The terrible mood-grip I can be in is so darn hard to handle that I actually can’t handle it.
4) As much as I advocate and live by the conviction to not be a victim of my illness a master of it, there are times that I positively hate having mood swings! (Shocker, I know.)
5) It has changed my life and turned it upside down, literally at times.
But if I apply this motto ‘this too shall pass…’, I realise again that :
1) Sometimes I really have to let it run its course, because fighting it makes it all a lot worse.
2) It’s okay to feel the way I feel, even though I really don’t like it.
3) It’s okay to be me – I am on a learning curve to accept who I am. The whole me, not just the Bipolar side, mind you!
4) It’s true that it will pass, cuz that’s the nature of the illness.
5) I need to learn to be kind to myself as I would to others and stop beating myself up. (Anyone else struggling to do this???)
So, the lesson I am learning is: I better embrace *my* (((motto))) and make it really mine.
Even if it is at a snail’s pace. Still, snails eventually get where they are going🙂.
(And no, you didn’t hear a sigh. No, really. It was barely audible, you!)
What is the motto you live by?
Inspired by Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop