1) I am not sick! Nor am I any more crazy than you! (Are you sure? Hmm, actually, yeah.) My brain might function differently than yours, but other than that, I am just… me.
2) I can be sick, and/or indisposed, at times, when for one reason or another it is too hard for me to handle my mood swings or I end up in a particular nasty or difficult mood.
3) Bipolar Disorder does not define who I am. There is a whole lot more to me than swinging along on my mood-swing.
4) There is so much to learn from all my moods, as I experience a whole range of emotions that ‘normal’ people do not. Yes, it’s definitely a tough road to deal with it on a consistent basis, but hey, is your life so easy-peasy?
5) I don’t need to be ‘cured’ – I was born this way and I have not known anything different. I might not recognize myself anymore… Now, that is a scary thought!
6) Even though I hate my meds and I’d like to chuck ’em out of the window from time-to-time, I am med-compliant. The consequences of doing so keep me from doing it. No visit to the p-ward for me, if I can help it, thank you very much!
7) Having regular consults with a psychiatrist doesn’t mean I am crazy. The stigma it carries unfortunately doesn’t stick to me. I like my guy!
8) Because I have ‘talk-therapy’, it has helped me deal with a lot of ugly stuff in my past, I’m getting to know my real self and I am learning an awful lot in the process. I just love my counselor! (And no, you can’t have his number, I have sharing-issues 🙂 )
9) It’s really neat what I can accomplish when I am hypo manic! Of course, I need to keep it in check and thankfully I have some peeps helping me with that. And some meds (which I truly hate!) to bring me down when necessary.
10) It’s okay to be me. Well, sorta. Am on my way to self-acceptance. Which includes ALL of me, not just my ‘Bipolar-side’.
Disclaimer: Please, note that this list reflects only me, my view on & my experience with my Bipolar (Disorder) traits.
Also, I have had 5 terrible, difficult, excruciating years behind me that brought me to this place with the help of some very important peeps. This is how I see it right now, which is subject to change 🙂